Sunday, February 17, 2013

Broccoli Cheese Soup


I absolutely love Panera Bread's broccoli cheese soup. It's so rich and cheesy and comforting. Unfortunately we don't have a Panera close by, so I figured it was time to try out a recipe for it myself. I found two recipes on Pinterest that looked good, so this is a recipe that kind of combines my favorite things about the two. I have made this soup twice now and it is FANTASTIC! Any time in the future I have a craving for broccoli cheese soup this will be the recipe. I really encourage you to try it. It's packed full of fresh broccoli and carrots, and I cut back on the half and half, so it's practically healthy! ;) Hope you enjoy!

1. Chop 1 small onion and cook in a pot with half a stick of butter .

2. While that is cooking, chop your broccoli into florets and rinse in a colander. 

3. Shred your carrots. I think I used 2 large carrots or about 2 c. (maybe a little less)

4. Once onions are tender, sprinkle in the flour and cook for another minute.

5. Slowly add 4 c. chicken broth and 2 c. half and half.

6. Add the broccoli and carrots. Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are tender.

7. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste, and nutmeg. Stir in 2 c. sharp cheddar cheese.


I served it up with an always tasty BLT! YUMMY!

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Serves 6-8

4 TBSP butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 lb. fresh broccoli florets
2 c. shredded carrots
1/4 c. flour
4 c. low sodium chicken broth
2 c. half and half
salt and pepper to taste
2 c. sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

In a pot cook chopped onion and butter until onions are tender. Whisk in the flour and cook for another minute. Slowly add chicken broth and half and half. Add broccoli florets and shredded carrots. Simmer on low for about 20-30 min. Once veggies are tender, use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste and the nutmeg. Stir in cheese until melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment