Sunday, December 16, 2012

Mom's Toffee Bars


My grandmother, whom we call "Mom", gave me this recipe. Even though Mom is now in a nursing home and doesn't cook, she is one of the best cooks I have ever known. We use to go to her house every Sunday after church for a family feast. I have so many fond memories of being at my grandparents' house and of all the wonderful smells coming from Mom's kitchen. Mom has given me her collection of recipes which I truly cherish having. I'm not sure the origin, but these little bars are so so easy and absolutely delicious! Even my husband, who doesn't like nuts, devours them! Hope you enjoy!

1. All you need is these 4 ingredients: butter, brown sugar, pecans, and graham crackers.

2. Lay the graham crackers on a foil-lined cookie sheet. I had two different kinds of graham crackers, HoneyMaid low-fat and Mi-del whole wheat grahams. I wanted to try this recipe with the ww grahams in hopes of making these not quite so bad.

3. In a pan melt butter and brown sugar, stirring frequently.

4. Meanwhile, finely chop your pecans.

 5. Once the butter/sugar mixture begins to simmer, add the chopped pecans. Take off heat.


6. Using a spoon, scoop a little of the mixture onto each graham cracker. Pop in 250 deg. oven for 12 minutes.

7. Once out of the oven, the mixture will look more caramelized. Let bars cool completely for topping to set.

Toffee Bars

8-10 honey graham crackers (or approx. 20 whole wheat grahams)
6 TBSP butter
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. finely chopped pecans

Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Lay graham crackers, side-by-side. In a pan, melt the butter and brown sugar, stirring frequently. While butter is melting, finely chop your pecans. Once butter/sugar mixture starts to simmer, add pecans and remove from heat. Spoon the toffee mixture onto the graham crackers. Bake at 250 for 12 minutes. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

P.S.The whole wheat ones are just as fantastic as the regular! 


No comments:

Post a Comment